On Wed, 2012-11-28, Christian Heimes wrote:
> Am 28.11.2012 19:14, schrieb Michael Torrie:
>> I'm curious.  What features do you need that pil doesn't have?  Other
>> than updating pil to fix bugs, support new image types or new versions
>> of Python, what kind of active development do you think it needs to
>> have? Maybe pil has all the features the original author wanted and is
>> pretty stable.  To judge a package on how fast it's changing seems a bit
>> odd to me.

Not to me -- the slower the change, the better!

>> Obviously you want to know that bugs can get fixed of
>> course.  Perhaps none have been reported recently.
>
> PIL is missing a bunch of features like proper TIFF support (no
> multipage, g3/g4 compression and more), JPEG 2000,

I thought those formats were dead since about a decade?  (Ok, I know
TIFF has niches, but JPEG 2000?)

> RAW and HDR image
> formats, tone mapping, proper ICC support, PEP 3128 buffer support ...

I won't comment on those, but they seem likely to be valid complaints.

> PIL is also rather slow. My smc.freeimage library can write JPEGs about
> six times faster, because it uses libjpeg-turbo. Only some Linux
> distributions have replaced libjpeg with the turbo implementation.

That seems like an argument for *not* having support for many file
formats in the imaging library itself -- just pipeline into the best
standalone utilities available.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@  Oo  o.   .     .