Hi, Suresh. I don't know about the hiring practices at Cisco or Facebook, but
at Google, the particular language or technology matters far less in an
interview than general coding ability, algorithmic understanding, and system
design fundamentals. To be sure, Python is an awesome language to learn (if I
didn't think so, I would not have subscribed to this mailing list) and Django
is quite useful, but my advice to you would be to gain as much practical
experience writing code as possible and to really solidify your understanding
of algorithms, data structures, and analysis of their runtime and memory
performance.

You can find out more about jobs at Google at http://jobs.google.com/

- Michael Safyan
http://gplus.to/michaelsafyan

P.S. Responding just as myself; not an official Google response.