On Dec 26, 11:02 pm, Steven D'Aprano <steve
+comp.lang.pyt...@pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 20:07:53 -0800, Rick Johnson wrote:
> > My specific point is that the English word "variable" is unambiguous
>
> I'm sorry, do you mean "variable" the noun, or "variable" the adjective?
> [snip: sliding down the rabbit hole of a polysemantic nightmare...]

And now my dear friend you arrive at the horrible truth. The truth
that your language is defeating you. The truth that you dare not speak
because of the fear of unfamiliarity. You don't like that feeling, you
fear it, you prefer the warmth of clinging to a warm fuzzy something,
EVEN IF that something is a abomination.

So what do we do?

Well the obvious answer is to scrap the whole thing and start over.
Start with a system of word creation that is intelligently expandable
instead of what we have now which is a haphazard at best. Stringing
bits of Greek with bits of Latin may increase your social status at
the local chess club, but you are only injecting more garbage into the
system. The whole architecture is flawed. It's flawed in greek, it's
flawed in latin, and it's flawed in Python. You cannot create gold
from lead: "Polish a turd, it's still a turd!"

But short of re-inventing the English language ( heck, you people
won't even _admit_ to the inconsistencies in Python syntax, much less
commit to _repairing_ them!) the flaws in natural language cannot be
used as an excuse to inject illogic/inconsistency/multiplicity at your
whim. We should hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Every keyword, syntactical structure, style, etc, etc, should be based
on logical foundations; not adolescent fads or propagating more
idiotic cultural traditions. You piss and moan about language X and
how asinine the language is, them you go and repeat the same stupid
mistakes simply because you don't want to "rock the boat"?!

"""Well, urm, i don't particularly like "aspect x" about this
language, but most programmers have internalized the practice and i
don't want to confuse them with intelligent design, consistency or
logic, so i'll just propagate more of this stupidity so everyone can
feel warm and fuzzy."""

Well thanks Mr. language designer, now we'll be corralling braces for
another fifty FREAKING YEARS!

PS: Grow a pair!