On 01/11/2013 03:29 AM, The Night Tripper wrote:
> Gisle Vanem wrote:
>
>> "jkn" <jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>    I have to write python code which must run on an old version of
>>> python (v2.4) as well as a newer (v2.7). I am using pylint and would
>>> like to check if is possible to check with pylint the use of operators
>>> etc. which are not present in 2.4; the ternary operator springs to
>>> mind.
>> No idea about PyLint. Why not install Python 2.4 and test
>> with that? Sounds safer IMHO.
> I do have Python 2.4 installed; but I would like a checker that warned me
> beforehand about trying to use constructs (like the ternary operator,
> decorators) which are version-specific.
>
>     J^n

Not sure what you mean by beforehand.  Don't you run all your unit tests
before putting each revision of your code into production?  So run those
tests twice, once on 2.7, and once on 2.4.  A unit test that's testing
code with a ternary operator will fail, without any need for a separate
test.

if it doesn't, then you've got some coverage gaps in your unit tests.

--

DaveA