"Chris Angelico" <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

That's not artificial intelligence, though. It's artificial program
generation based on a known target output. The "Fitness" calculation
is based on a specific target string. This is fine for devising a
program that will produce the entire works of Shakespeare, since there

You mean, art generation (writing Shakespearian texts) is a process of generating "known target output"?. If we talk about good art (not kitch), I disagree. For reference, "Infinite Monkey Teorem" is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

Disregarding the probability math in the above, the question IMHO boils down to whether "art can be produced by accident" (quote from above). I seems to recall elephant painting selling for lots of dollars some years ago. And long dull poems written by computers. Fooled a lot of people.

As suggested in RFC 2795 [1], the resources required to implement such
a project would also have other uses. Like the Infinite Improbability
Drive,

I did notice that RFC was written on 1 April 2000 :-)

--gv