On 2013-02-24 19:40, piterrr.dolin...@gmail.com wrote:
if (some statement):            # short form

rather than

if (some statement == true):    # long form

What all those ugly brackets are for?

Mark,

Back in the day when C was king, or take many newer long established
languages (C#, Java), the use of () has been widespread and mandated
by the compilers. I have never heard anyone moan about the
requirement to use parentheses. Now come Python in which parens are
optional, and all of a sudden they are considered bad and apparently
widely abandoned. Do you really not see that code with parens is much
more pleasing visually? I could understand someone's reluctance to
use parens if they are very new to programming and Pythons is their
first language. But my impression here is that most group
contributors are long-time programmers and have long used () where
they are required. Again, I'm really surprised the community as a
whole ignores the programming "heritage" and dumps the parens in a
heartbeat.

Some languages require parentheses, others don't.

C does. C++, Java and C# are descended from, or influenced by, C.

Algol didn't (doesn't?). Pascal, Modula-2, Oberon, Ada, and others
don't.

Parentheses are used where required, but not used where they're not
required, in order to reduce visual clutter.