On 03/26/2013 10:59 AM, Michael Herrmann wrote:
On Tuesday, March 26, 2013  2:41:38 PM UTC+1, Mitya Sirenef wrote:
>> At the __exit__, further commands are no longer routed to that window;
>> if it was a nested context, window is switched to the outer context,
>> WHEN there are commands in it (i.e. on the first command). This seems
>> pretty intuitive to me:
>>
>> with notepad1:
>>      ^S
>>      with notepad2:
>>          ^S
>>      write('something')

>>  > What I am most afraid of: that the window that's currently the
>>  > context "disappears":
>>
>>  >     notepad = start("Notepad")
>>  >     with notepad:
>>  >         press(ALT + TAB)
>>  >         write("Am I in Notepad now?")
>>

>> Alt-tab needs to be handled by a wrapper function that gives you the
>> object of the window you've switched to:
>>
>> otherwin = alt_tab()
>> with otherwin:
>>
>> If window is changed within 'with' block, the rest of block should be
>> ignored. Perhaps there could also be a way to switch this behaviour off,
>> for the entire script or for current block only.
>>

>>  > What do you think of designs #3 and #4?
>>  > ...
>>
>> These are ok, too, but I feel it's much easier to send commands to a
>> wrong window vs. context managers. The same command in a different
>> window can have vastly different and dangerous effect. In other python
>> code that's generally not common at all, and would be bad style:
>>
>> lst = lst1
>> lst.append('x')
>> del lst[3]
>> lst.insert(0, 'a')
>> lst = lst2
>> del lst[2]
>> lst.append('y')
>> lst = lst3
>> lst.insert(0, 'x')
>> lst += [1,2]
>>
>> I think current window should also be acquired explicitly:
>>
>> with get_current_window():
>>      type("some kind of snippet")
>>
>> For usage when a command should apply to all types of windows.
>
> I was skeptical of your suggestion at first but trying it out on an example script made me see its appeal:
>
>     notepad_main = start("Notepad")
>     with notepad_main:
>         write("Hello World!")
>         save_dialogue = press(CTRL + 's')
>         with save_dialogue:
>             write("test.txt", into="File name")
>             click("Save")
>         click("Close")
>
> Forcing the library user to always use the "with ..." seems like overkill though. I think the gained precision does not justify this burden on the library user. Hm....

I don't see why that's a big deal, I've used AHK extensively and in my
experience you don't switch windows all that often. I think it's best to
optimize to have easy to type and read commands while you're working in
the same window.

I think you could argue that dialogs that belong to the main window
should be handled implicitly, though. I think for other windows it'd
definitely be good to use context managers, but for quick/simple dialogs
it's too much hassle, although for large, complex dialogs that have
inner tabs and require a lot of work, it again starts to make sense.

At the very least, for small dialogs it's sipmpler to do:

with press(CTRL + 's'):
    write("test.txt", into="File name")
    click("Save")

 -m

Calamities are of two kinds: misfortunes to ourselves, and good fortune to others.
Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary