On 04/02/2013 08:03 AM, Steve Simmons wrote:
On 02/04/2013 15:12, Mark Lawrence wrote:
I've already raised an issue about performance and Neil Hodgson has raised a
new one.
Recognised in a separate post

To balance this out perhaps we should have counter issues asking for the amount
of memory being used to be increased
to old levels and the earlier buggier behaviour of Python to be reintroduced?
Swings and roundabouts?

I don't think I came anywhere near suggesting that we should regress correct
functionality or memory usage
improvements.  I just don't believe that we can't have good performance
alongside it.

It's always a trade-off between time and memory.

However, as it happens, there are plenty of instances where the new FSR is faster -- and this in real world code, not useless micro-benchmarks.

Simmons (too many Steves!), I know you're new so don't have all the history with jmf that many of us do, but consider that the original post was about numbers, had nothing to do with characters or unicode *in any way*, and yet jmf still felt the need to bring unicode up.

--
~Ethan~