On 4/3/2013 1:32 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 14:31:03 +1100, Neil Hodgson wrote:

     Sorting a million string list (all the file paths on a particular
computer) went from 0.4 seconds with Python 3.2 to 0.78 with 3.3 so
we're out of the 'not noticeable by humans' range. Perhaps this is still
a 'micro-benchmark' - I'd just like to avoid adding email access to get
this over the threshold.

What system *and* what compiler and compiler options. Unless 3.2 and 3.3 are both compiler with the same compiler and settings, we do not know the source of the difference.

I cannot confirm this performance regression. On my laptop (Debian Linux,
not Windows), I can sort a million file names in approximately 1.2
seconds in both Python 3.2 and 3.3. There is no meaningful difference in
speed between the two versions.

I am guessing that Neil's undisclosed system (that I can see) is Windows, since other benchmarks have been more different on Windows than on *nix. Given that we *know* that the 3.2 and 3.3 distribution are compiled with different compilers and run with different C runtimes, it is possible that some of the difference is from that and not from python at all.

tjr