On 6/15/2013 12:28 PM, subhabangal...@gmail.com wrote:

Suppose I want a regular expression that matches both "Sent from my iPhone" and
"Sent from my iPod". How do I write such an expression--is the problem,
"Sent from my iPod"
"Sent from my iPhone"

which can be written as,
re.compile("Sent from my (iPhone|iPod)")

now if I want to slightly to extend it as,

"Taken from my iPod"
"Taken from my iPhone"

I am looking how can I use or in the beginning pattern?

and the third phase if the intermediate phrase,

"from my" if also differs or changes.

In a nutshell I want to extract a particular group of phrases,
where, the beginning and end pattern may alter like,

(i) either from beginning Pattern B1 to end Pattern E1,
(ii) or from beginning Pattern B1 to end Pattern E2,
(iii) or from beginning Pattern B2 to end Pattern E2,

The only hints I will add to those given is that you need a) pattern for a word, and b) a way to 'anchor' the pattern to the beginning and ending of the string so it will only match the first and last words.

This is a pretty good re practice problem, so go and practice and experiment. Expect to fail 20 times and you should beat your expectation ;-). The interactive interpreter, or Idle with its F5 Run editor window, makes experimenting easy and (for me) fun.

--
Terry Jan Reedy