On 06/21/2013 02:17 PM, Yves S. Garret wrote:
Hi, I have a question about breaking up really long lines of code in Python.

I have the following line of code:
log.msg("Item wrote to MongoDB database %s/%s" %(settings['MONGODB_DB'], settings['MONGODB_COLLECTION']), level=log.DEBUG, spider=spider)

Given the fact that it goes off very far to the right on my screen is not terribly
pleasing to my eyes (and can be rude for other developers).

I was thinking of splitting it up like so:
log.msg("Item wrote to MongoDB database %s/%s"
  %(settings['MONGODB_DB'], settings['MONGODB_COLLECTION']),
  level=log.DEBUG, spider=spider)

Is this ok? Are there any rules in Python when it comes to breaking up long lines of
code?

This is how I'd do it: (And it's *FAR* clearer -- You win no points for clarity by having it all in one statement.)

fmt  = "Item wrote to MongoDB database %s/%s"
msg = fmt % (settings['MONGODB_DB'],
                         settings['MONGODB_COLLECTION'])
log.msg(msg, level=log.DEBUG, spider=spider)

Gary Herron

--
Dr. Gary Herron
Department of Computer Science