On 06/25/2013 03:54 AM, Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick wrote:
On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Dave Angel <da...@davea.name> wrote:
You're on Linux or similar, and dll's are the way a Windows executable is
named.

dll’s are libraries for windows, not executables (/lib not /bin)

Try going back to where you downloaded this file, and see if you can get the
one for your OS.

That is not necessary.  Because it is a sane OS, it is likely that
hunspell is packaged in the repositories of OP’s system, and might be
even installed there.  And if the package is installed, hunspell
should reside in /usr/lib/libhunspell.so or a similar place.

Sorry, since I was talking about a DLL, I used Microsoft's terminology. Certainly in Unix terms, a DLL is roughly equivalent to a shared library.

DLL is one of the dozens of file extensions commonly used for Microsoft executables, or PE files. Microsoft doesn't generally make the distinction between an executable which can be called from the command line and one which can only be used with LoadLibraryEx(). In common use, only the "main" executable of a program will have an entry point, but both common types may be used for library code.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463119.aspx

As for finding it in the repository, you're certainly right. I had naiively assumed that the OP would have looked there first, and wouldn't be in this state if it were in the repository (eg. Synaptic). It is in Ubuntu 12.04.

--
DaveA