On 07/04/2013 08:38 PM, Joshua Landau wrote:
On 4 July 2013 08:32, cutems93 <ms2...@cornell.edu> wrote:
I am researching on editors for my own reference. I found that each of them has
some features that other don't, but I am not sure which features are
significant/necessary for a GOOD editor. What features do you a good editor
should have? Keyboard shortcuts? Extensions?

Let me give you some reasons I really, really like Sublime Text.

* Fast. Like, really fast. I've used Vim -- Sublime Text is faster.
Considering I'm on a middle-end 5-year-old computer (not for long...)
this matters.

* The rendering is gorgeous. There are subtle shadows, there's
perfectly crisp text (the main reason I no longer use terminal
editors, actually), and once you choose the right theme (Nexus and
Phoenix, Tomorrow Night for me) it's just lovely. There's this feature
where it shows you tabs -- but only for the part of the file you're
on. There's, instead of a scrollbar, a little "bird's-eye-view" of the
whole code on the RHS. This goes on. Visually it is stunning, in a
helpful way. If it had proper terminal-emulation support, I'd replace
my terminal with it. It's just that usable an interface.

* Multiple cursors. This is something that no-one else really
advertises, but it's one of the most used features for me. It's
something you just have to try for a while -- I think it's a bit like
Vim's power-of-Regex but easy for a, you know, human. (I just found
https://github.com/terryma/vim-multiple-cursors).

* Good navigation between and inside of files. A lot of things have
this, so I won't say much more.

* The "Command Palette" is a dropdown that you do commands from, and
because of the way you search it, it's like a hybrid between vim's
command-based power and something that's actually discoverable and
easy.

* Usable on *really big* files, and has one of the best binary-file
support I know of. I open binary file a little more than I should, not
that I can do much with them.

* Useful extensions, installable at a button-press --
<C-P>in<CR>[search for package]<CR>. Like SublimeREPL. I know
Emacs/Vim will do better at REPLs, but few others will.

* Etc. This goes on.

Looking at Dave Angel's list, Sublime Text pretty-much aces it.

What I don't understand is where he says:

The main negatives I can see are:
     It's available for OS/X, Linux and Windows, with a single purchase
     The eval/demo is not time-limited (currently)

How on earth are those negatives?

A typo. I was collecting points and trying to put them in categories, but somehow that didn't end up in the right place.

He basically only dislikes it because you have to use PayPal, which is
his choice. I can't say I agree with it though.

--
DaveA