On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 8:16 PM, Tim <jtim.arn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My intent is to pass it a directory name or path and if it exists, use
> shutil.rmtree to remove whatever is there (if it isn't a directory, try to
> unlink it); then use os.makedirs to create a new directory or path:
>
> def make_clean_dir(directory):
>     if os.path.exists(directory):
>         if os.path.isdir(directory):
>             shutil.rmtree(directory)
>         else:
>             os.unlink(directory)
>     os.makedirs(directory)
>
> The last bit of the traceback is:
> File "/develop/myproject/helpers/__init__.py", line 35, in make_clean_dir
>     os.makedirs(directory)
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/os.py", line 157, in makedirs
>     mkdir(name, mode)
> OSError: [Errno 17] File exists: '/users/tim/testing/testing_html'
>
> The directory 'testing_html' existed when I executed the function;

First thing I'd check is: Did rmtree succeed? Try removing the
makedirs and test it again; then, when your process has completely
finished, see if the directory is there. If it is, the problem is in
rmtree - for instance:

* You might not have permission to remove everything
* There might be a messed-up object in the file system
* If the directory is a remote share mount point, the other end might
have lied about the removal
* Something might have been created inside the directory during the removal
* Myriad other possibilities

As I understand rmtree's docs, any errors *that it detects* will be
raised as exceptions (since you haven't told it to suppress or handle
them), but possibly there's an error that it isn't able to detect.
Worth a test, anyhow.

ChrisA