Thank you... I found my problem....

class MainWindow(QMainWindow, Ui_MainWindow):
    def __init__(self, parent=None):
        super(MainWindow, self).__init__(parent)
        self.setupUi(self)

That seems to take care of it... if I comment out everything else, I get my
pristine form....

I don't know if it's the super call or the setupui....but one of those was my
godsend.

So, that is solved... I just have to figure out how to put things in the gui
where I want them....but I think you're right at any rate. If I try to resize,
it doesn't function like I thought it would. I will have to use layouts.. but
at least now I am able to use the UI file that I created.