On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 03:37:15 +0000, Dave Angel wrote:

> You can run a 32bit Python on 64bit OS, but not the oter way
> around.  And most people just match the bitness of Python against the
> bitness of the OS.

AFAICT, most people run 32-bit Python on any version of Windows.

[And this isn't limited to Python; most of the software on my Win64
system is 32-bit. And most of the 64-bit software is accounted for by
software which has to be 64-bit due to containing device drivers, shell
extensions or similar.]

Any add-on package which provides pre-compiled binaries will provide
32-bit binaries. Some of them will also provide 64-bit binaries, some of
them won't.

So unless you think that you might need to use more than 3-4 GiB of RAM
for a single Python process, or you need to use certain libraries
which are only available as 64-bit, getting the 32-bit version is
typically the safest option.