:

Note: I drafted a version of this post earlier today. I had been waiting
to see whether Nikos succeeded in baiting the list into yet another
round of unpleasantness before sending it, because I didn't want to
worsen the situation, but at this point things are completely out of
hand, and even what looks like a consensus attempt to ignore Nikos out
of existence is

a) failing: I count eighteen emails so far today.

b) going to lead casual visitors to assume either that we ignore
requests for help or that the list is Nikos' personal echo chamber.

At this point I consider Nikos' actions a conscious attack on the list.
There is simply no way, after the many times he's been told not to
repost, that this is anything other than a direct and deliberate attempt
to annoy as many people as he can.

That being the case, I'd like to know whether there are technical
measures that can be taken to prevent him from posting here.

I understand that the mail/news gateway might complicate that, and that
any measures taken could be bypassed by someone with sufficient skill. I
suspect that in this particular case the latter issue is less relevant
than it might otherwise be.

I don't believe that killfiles are a sufficient response in this
situation.

I can, of course, stop Nikos' posts reaching me, and without too much
hassle also stop replies to his posts reaching me. He would, however,
continue to pollute the list in public, and his posts, whether replied
to or not at the volume he's now sending them, would continue to damage
the reputation of the list and, ultimately, I think possibly kill it.

This is a last-ditch request, and not one I particularly expect to
succeed, but I honestly can't stand to watch this happen to python-list
for very much longer, and am very close to unsubscribing after six years
as an admittedly not very active member.

 -[]z.

--
Zero Piraeus: pollice verso
http://etiol.net/pubkey.asc