On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 1:52 AM, Rich Kulawiec <r...@gsp.org> wrote:
> Mailing lists/Usenet newsgroups remain, as they've been for a very
> long time, the solutions of choice for online discussions.  Yes, I'm
> aware of web forums: I've used hundreds of them.  They suck.  They ALL
> suck, they just all suck differently.

I absolutely agree. And Mailman lists are both easy and powerful -
I've deployed a number of them and subscribed to many MANY more - and
play nicely with other internet standards. Instead of having to
remember to check umpteen web-based forums, I just check my emails,
which I do constantly anyway. Adding another mailing list costs me
nothing; adding another forum costs me quite a bit of time.

Ultimately it comes down to this: It would take an enormous amount of
effort for something else to replicate the power of SMTP and/or NNTP,
ergo nothing has achieved that. The open standards mean there are
myriad clients available, and no new protocol or system can ever hope
to compete with that.

ChrisA