On 1/5/2014 11:51 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 3:34 AM, Roy Smith <r...@panix.com> wrote:
Amazon's (short-term) goal is to increase their market share by
undercutting everybody on price.  They have implemented a box-packing
algorithm which clearly has a bug in it.  You are complaining that they
failed to deliver your purchase in good condition, and apparently don't
care.  You're right, they don't.  The cost to them to manually correct
this situation exceeds the value.  This is one shipment.  It doesn't
matter.

If it stopped there, it would be mildly annoying ("1% of our shipments
will need to be replaced, that's a 1% cost for free replacements").
The trouble is that they don't care about the replacement either, so
it's really that 100% (or some fairly large proportion) of their
shipments will arrive with some measure of damage, and they're hoping
that their customers' threshold for complaining is often higher than
the damage sustained. Which it probably is, a lot of the time.

My wife has gotten several books from Amazon and partners and we have never gotten one loose enough in a big enough box to be damaged. Either the box is tight or has bubble packing. Leaving aside partners, maybe distribution centers have different rules.

--
Terry Jan Reedy