On 01/07/2014 10:22 AM, MRAB wrote:
On 2014-01-07 17:46, Andrew Barnert wrote:
On Jan 7, 2014, at 7:44, Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

I was thinking about Ethan's suggestion of introducing a new bytestring
class and a lot of these suggestions are what I thought the bytestring
class could do.

Suppose we take a pure-ASCII byte-string and decode it:

   b'abcd'.decode('ascii-compatible')

That would be:

     bytestring(b'abcd')

or even:

     bytestring('abcd')

[snip]

Suppose we take a byte-string with a non-ASCII byte:

   b'abc\xFF'.decode('ascii-compatible')

That would be:

     bytestring(b'abc\xFF')

Bytes outside the ASCII range would be mapped to Unicode low
surrogates:

     bytestring(b'abc\xFF') == bytestring('abc\uDCFF')

Not sure what you mean here.  The resulting bytes should be 'abc\xFF' and of
length 4.

--
~Ethan~