On 02/09/2014 08:52 AM, Roy Smith wrote:
In article <mailman.6584.1391950328.18130.python-l...@python.org>,
  bagrat lazaryan <bagra...@live.com> wrote:

pep 257 -- docstring conventions, as well as a myriad of books and other
resources, recommend documenting a function's or method's effect as a command
("do this", "return that"), not as a description ("does this", "returns
that"). what's the logic behind this recommendation?

bagratte

Methods are verbs, and should be described as such.  If I had:

class Sheep:
    def fly(self):
       "Plummet to the ground."

I'm defining the action the verb performs.  If, on the other hand, I had:

Shouldn't that be:

  class Pig:
      def fly(self):
      "Soar gracefully through the air if a hot place is very cold."
          if hell is frozen:
              self.sprout_wings()
              self.altitude += 10
              self.velocity += 25