I've realised that the best way to do this is to use a web browser for the graphical front end: high end graphics are simply not a necessity here, so one does not need to leave the confines of the browser. Thus we need a simple server script.

I'm still minimalist, so I guess we want xmlrpc and a python server, with a bit of javascript in the browser to sort out the drawing end. This now seems way simpler than trying to play with Gtk or Qt.

Basically the lesson is to use a web browser engine as a graphics engine unless you have performance issues. Hopefully in future html rendering engines will not be so strongly coupled to browsers, or even to the html format itself, but will be a general purpose user graphics engine (an ncurses for bitmapped displays).

Can anybody suggest the quickest way to learn the bits of xmlrpc (in python) that I need to do this. Once it's working, I'll stick a source code download on my website. There will be only one version released: the one that works properly. Thus there is no need to github this.

All the best,

def my_sig():
    print("--")
    print(signame(['n','o','h',uppercase('j')]).written_backwards)