On 24/02/2014 18:05, j.e.ha...@gmail.com wrote:
On Sunday, February 23, 2014 5:01:25 AM UTC-6, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com>:

That's the exact line of thinking that leads to problems. You are not

placing a number at the address "xyz", you are pointing the name "xyz"

to the number 3. That number still exists elsewhere.

And?

In C, I can say:

    Number *o = malloc(sizeof *o);

    o->value = 3;

Your statement is valid: the number 3 resides elsewhere than the

variable o.

typedef struct {
   int value;
} Number;

   Number *o;
   o = malloc(sizeof(*o));
   o->value=3;
   printf("o<%p>, o->value<%p>\n", o, &o->value);

o<0x9fe5008>, o->value<0x9fe5008>

Is the compiler borked?

I can't be bothered to check. OTOH google groups is so please read and action this https://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython, thanks.

--
My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---
is active.