On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Mark H. Harris <harrismh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> lists within a tuple should be converted to tuples.    If you want a tuple to
> hold a list,  make it a list in the first place.  Tuples should not be
> changed... and as you point out... half changing a tuple is not a good
> condition if there is an exception...

A tuple is perfectly fine containing a list. If you want a tuple to be
"recursively immutable", then you're talking about hashability, and
*then* yes, you need to convert everything into tuples - but a tuple
is not just an immutable list. The two are quite different in pupose.

> I really think this is a bug; honestly.  IMHO it should be an error to use
> +=  with an immutable type and that means not at all.  In other words,  the
> list should not even be considered, because we're talking about changing a
> tuple... which should not be changed (nor should its members be changed).

Definitely not! Incrementing an integer with += is a perfectly normal
thing to do:

x = 5
x += 1

It's just a matter of knowing the language and understanding what's going on.

ChrisA