On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 09:16:35 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 1:31 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>> You drag out the lab scope, logic analyzer, spectrum analyzer, sweep
>> generator, strip plotter, and the machine that goes "ping".  You start
>> to get everything set up to nail that problem securely to the
>> dissecting board.  Long before you actually get to that point, the
>> problem becomes intimidated and reveals itself and a solution.
>
> *ALL* my machines go ping. It's fundamental to network debugging. I know
> that's not what you meant, but somehow it comes to the same thing. :)
>
> And yep. That is so absolutely right. Problems know when concealment
> becomes pointless.
>
> ChrisA

As a maintenance engineer I find there is also an opposite factor in
operation.
Equipment manufacturers appear to include an "Engineer Proximity
Detector" in all designs that cause the equipment to work flawlessly when
triggered.

The issue the customer has been complaining about incessantly never
occurs whilst there is an engineer on site.

--
We're out of slots on the server