On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Frank Millman <fr...@chagford.com> wrote:
> To make the software available to anyone who just wants to run a stable
> version, copy the working directory of the 'major release' repository to a
> directory of its own, without the .hg stuff, and make it available for
> download.
>
> For everyone else, just make the full repository available, and don't worry
> about the size.
>
> 'Everyone else' would include those wishing to collaborate on the project,
> and those who just wish to keep up to date with the latest updates.

That sounds about right. I have a number of people who use Gypsum
without any interest in coding it, but cloning the git repo is still
the easiest way to (a) get the code, and (b) pull changes later. (It
helps that I created a command in the program that pulls changes and
then does an internal "update all" to apply those changes without
restarting the program.)

> Actually my concern was not the 'size' of the full repository, but the
> prospect of wading through thousands of changesets most of which are ancient
> history. However, I assume that the experienced user will adopt habits such
> as 'hg log tip:-10' to review the last 10 changesets, so it should not be a
> problem.

Anyone who actually cares about the changes will need to know how to
use the version control system you're using. They can then use "hg
view" or "hg log" or whatever to see just what they care about;
personally, I'd just use "hg log|less", which is like "git log" - when
you're done reading recent stuff, hit q and get out of there.

ChrisA