On 3/25/14 6:38 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

        A couple of us managed to "steal" the school login/password (don't
think we ever used it, but...)... The teaching assistant didn't notice the
paper tape punch was active when persuaded to login to let us run a short
program (high school BASIC class, with a dial-up teletype). Playing back
the tape and manually spinning the platen during the password
obscuration/input phase gave us the plain text.

I still have one of my old BASIC tapes from way back in the day; I wanted to get the code back, or just remember why I had saved the tape?

One of my linux user group buddies locally rigged up an optical reader (IF) to a single board micro controller... we pulled the tape by hand using the center drive holes (sprocket holes) as a strobe and after a couple of false attempts read the entire tape into a text file.

That tape still have the caster oil smell of the tty that produced it; smell has a very strong memory association / I can still hear that thing running in my head. ... haven't seen one physically in years.

marcus