In article <533fd894$0$29993$c3e8da3$54964...@news.astraweb.com>,
 Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.pyt...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> Twisted has apparently said they cannot migrate to 3.x. They might, I
> suppose, take up maintenance of Python 2.7. But I doubt it. I expect
> that when push comes to shove in 4 or 5 years time, they'll find a
> way to migrate.

Is Twisted really that relevant?  I know they've been around for a long
time, and there are a few high-profile projects using them, but I get
the impression they've become a bit of a legacy product by now, and 5
years from now, I suspect that will be even more true.

Their big claim to fame was the ability to do asynchronous I/O in
Python.  There's other ways to do that now.

> Nobody is *afraid* of a fork. But forks do split the community, and
> introduce FUD

A classic example would be the BSD world (Free, Net, Open, Dragonfly,
and a host of minor players).  There's a lot of really smart people
working on those projects, but they're all pushing in different
directions.  Meanwhile, Linux ate their lunch.

>> Somebody should
>> put a date on C python 3.4+ migration and cut off support for 2.7.x/
>
> 2045-04-01. If you're not migrated to Python 3.4 by then, no cake for you.

But, somewhere, somebody will still be running XP on their desktop, and
haggling with Microsoft over another deadline extension.