On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 6:23 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamore...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 10/04/2014 00:53, Roy Smith wrote:
>> Natural language is a wonderfully expressive thing.  I open the window,
>> stick my head out, look up at the sky, and say, "Raining".  Forget the
>> pronoun, I don't even have a verb.  And yet everybody understands
>> exactly what I mean.
>>

> In the UK you can stay in bed and say "Raining" and the odds are you'll be
> correct :)

Is the staying-in-bed part critical to that? The last few times I've
been to England, it's only rained a few times. Granted, I've always
come during your summer, but even so, the rumours suggest that rain
should still be plenty common. We've happily driven a costume rack
down the A53 (twice - once empty, once loaded, if I recall correctly),
without worrying about rain. There were a few times when the terrain
was treacherous (imagine this: you're at the top of a moderately-steep
(probably 1 in 10-20) of rough concrete or asphalt, depending on which
part you jog down, and it's been greased up by vehicles standing
there, and then rained on; and you need to run down it at full speed,
catch the porta-cabin before it closes for the last time this year,
get the DVDs that were being run off for you, and run back up at full
speed, all before a ceremony begins), but other than that, it's been
pretty dry every time we've been there.

But we don't stay in bed much.

ChrisA