On 4/9/14 12:52 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:

People with a fear of threaded programming almost certainly never grew
up on OS/2. :) I learned about GUI programming thus: Write your
synchronous message handler to guarantee that it will return in an
absolute maximum of 0.1s, preferably a lot less. If you have any sort
of heavy processing to do, spin off a thread.

heh  very true.

Any non trivial OS/2 GUI app required threads. We had a template at our shop that we gave to noobs for copy-n-tweak. It had not only the basics for getting the canvas on the screen with a tool bar and a button, but also the minimal code required to setup the thread to handle the button event (it was a database lookup in our case).