On 14/04/2014 14:51, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com>:

If you're going to do that, why not just port your code to 3.x and be
done with it? Who has the resources to put hours and hours of dev time
into a 2.8?

The people who haven't had enough time over the last eight years to plan their upgrade path to 3.x. Eight years comes from the date of the first message here https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/ which was 21/03/2006, so feel free to come up with a different answer for the time span.

Somewhat related. Only yesterday I ported/reimplemented a software
package to python3. On the finish line, I ran into a problem: xlwt
only supports 2.6, 2.7 and 3.3. My system has python3.2.

So I backtracked to python2.7.

So not only do we have a schism between python2 and python3 but there's
one between 3.0 and 3.3. I can't help but wonder if PEP 414 was a
mistake.

I still believe that PEP 404 was the correct thing to do. PEP 414 was a no brainer :)

Serves me right for being an "early adopter."

No, serves the community right for not providing enough support to authors in getting their packages updated.

Marko

--
My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---
is active.