Am 15.04.2014 01:51, schrieb Gregory Ewing:
Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
I have yet a question out of curiosity: Why is my 2nd list structure,
that apparently is too complex for handling by eval and json, seemingly
not a problem for pickle?

Pickle is intended for arbitrary data structures, so it
is designed to be able to handle deeply-nested and/or
recursive data. Eval only has to handle nesting to depths
likely to be encountered in source code. Apparently the
json parser also assumes you're not going to be using
very deep nesting.

What I need is to have my (complicated) list to be put into
a bytearray, do some proceesing, transfer it to the recipient.
The recipient reverses the processing, obtains a bytearray
that is the same as my original one and gets from it the same
list as mine. Using pickle I can manage to do it (in fact I
did try and succeed with my 2nd list), but that's IMHO a
rather unnatural/awkward work-around. (It means that I have
to pickle out the list to a file and read in the content of
the file in order to have it as a bytearray etc. etc.)

M. K. Shen