Thanks for the response and I can certainly see that this old code can be improved, but I
respectfully disagree on the utility of this function.  The flexibility of passing any
number of arguments to the function and returning a dictionary is much easier than
writing out dict(x=x, y=y, ...n=n).  I also believe that "makeDict" makes my
code very readable.

My question is around finding the names of the variables passed to a function
from within the function.  I have spent many hours looking on the web looking
for where in the frames and stacks this information is stored.  Does anyone
have any insight where/how I can find the variables associated with the
arguments in

     dctA = makeDict(strA, intA)

from within the function

     def makeDict(*args):
           .... #need to find the variable names "strA" and "intA" in this