On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 8:50 AM, Matthew Pounsett
<matt.pouns...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, I'll keep all that in mind.  I have to wonder how much of a problem
> it is here though, since I was able to demonstrate a functioning fork inside
> a new thread further up in the discussion.

Yeah, it's really hard to pin down sometimes. I once discovered a
problem whereby I was unable to spin off subprocesses that did certain
things, but I could do a trivial subprocess (I think I fork/exec'd to
the echo command or something) and that worked fine. Turned out to be
a bug in one of my signal handlers, but the error was being reported
at the point of the forking.

> I have a new development that I find interesting, and I'm wondering if you
> still think it's the same problem.
>
> I have taken that threading object and turned it into a normal function
> definition.  It's still forking the external tool, but it's doing so in the
> main thread, and it is finished execution before any other threads are
> created.   And I'm still getting the same error.

Interesting. That ought to eliminate all possibility of
thread-vs-process issues. Can you post the smallest piece of code that
exhibits the same failure?

ChrisA