On 04/30/2014 06:14 AM, Ethan Furman wrote:
On 04/29/2014 03:51 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 8:42 AM, emile <em...@fenx.com> wrote:
On 04/29/2014 01:16 PM, Adam Funk wrote:

"A man pitches his tent, walks 1 km south, walks 1 km east, kills a
bear, & walks 1 km north, where he's back at his tent.  What color is
the bear?"  ;-)

 From how many locations on Earth can someone walk one mile south, one mile
east, and one mile north and end up at their starting point?

Any point where the mile east takes you an exact number of times
around the globe. So, anywhere exactly one mile north of that, which
is a number of circles not far from the south pole.

It is my contention, completely unbacked by actual research, that if you find
such a spot (heading a mile east takes you
an integral number of times around the pole), that there is not enough Earth
left to walk a mile north so that you could
then turn-around a walk a mile south to get back to such a location.

Wow. It's amazing how writing something down, wrongly (I originally had north and south reversed), correcting it, letting some time pass (enough to post the message so one can be properly embarrassed ;), and then rereading it later can make something so much clearer!

Or maybe it was the morning caffeine.  Hmmm.

At any rate, I withdraw my contention, it is clear to me now (at least until
the caffeine wears off).

--
~Ethan~