On 5/3/2014 6:37 AM, Jurko Gospodnetić wrote:
   Hi all.

   I was wandering why Python implements its __new__ method as a static
and not a class method?

For a technical internal reason that Guido and maybe others have explained on pydev (more than once). I forget the details partly because I do not care beyond knowing that there is a reason. You might be able to find something by searching the pydev archives at gmane.org for '__new__ static method'. In other words, Guido knows that it 'should' be a class method, if it could be.

   Normally, I'd chalk this issue up under 'bike-shedding', but it came
up while teaching others about Python and so does not feel right leaving
it as 'because that's the way it is'. :-)

'Because that is how it has to be for technical internal reasons beyond the scope of my teaching.'

--
Terry Jan Reedy