On 2014-05-22, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 9:47 PM, Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com> wrote:
>> I'm using Python 3.3 and the sqlite3 module in the standard library.
>> I'm processing a lot of strings from input files (among other things,
>> values of headers in e-mail & news messages) and suppressing
>> duplicates using a table of seen strings in the database.
>>
>> It seems to me --- from past experience with other things, where
>> testing integers for equality is faster than testing strings, as well
>> as from reading the SQLite3 documentation about INTEGER PRIMARY KEY
>> --- that the SELECT tests should be faster if I am looking up an
>> INTEGER PRIMARY KEY value rather than TEXT PRIMARY KEY.  Is that
>> right?
>
> It might be faster to use an integer primary key, but the possibility
> of even a single collision means you can't guarantee uniqueness
> without a separate check. I don't know sqlite3 well enough to say, but
> based on what I know of PostgreSQL, it's usually best to make your
> schema mimic your logical structure, rather than warping it for the
> sake of performance. With a good indexing function, the performance of
> a textual PK won't be all that much worse than an integral one, and
> everything you do will read correctly in the code - no fiddling around
> with hashes and collision checks.
>
> Stick with the TEXT PRIMARY KEY and let the database do the database's
> job. If you're processing a really large number of strings, you might
> want to consider moving from sqlite3 to PostgreSQL anyway (I've used
> psycopg2 quite happily), as you'll get better concurrency; and that
> might solve your performance problem as well, as Pg plays very nicely
> with caches.

Well, actually I'm thinking about doing away with checking for
duplicates at this stage, since the substrings that I pick out of the
deduplicated header values go into another table as the TEXT PRIMARY
KEY anyway, with deduplication there.  So I think this stage reeks of
premature optimization.

--
The history of the world is the history of a privileged few.
                                            --- Henry Miller