On 18/06/2014 20:24, Maciej Dziardziel wrote:
On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:21:12 PM UTC+1, Maciej Dziardziel wrote:
I wasn't quiet happy with the way search on pypi works,

so I've got an idea of getting all package metadata from pypi

and do search locally. The only problem is that I can't figure out

where to get the data from. I tried to use bandersnatch to

set up mirror, but all I've got was a mixture of egg, whl and exe files.

Egg and whl are useful maybe, but I guess its not exactly what I want.

Then I've found api:

https://pypi.python.org/simple/ provides list of packages,

and I can use json api to get metadata for each of them.

(Click post to fast, so I am continuing.)

So its doable, but I am really hoping for a better way.
I assume pypi would ban me quickly for making thousands of requests,
and I'd love to be able to update index daily or weekly.

Is there something I am missing?

Why not use google and do a site specific search of pypi?

My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---
is active.