In article <mailman.11552.1404673207.18130.python-l...@python.org>,
 Mark Lawrence <breamore...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 06/07/2014 19:48, Rick Johnson wrote:
> >
> > *Real* programmers possess keen detective that can root out
> > bugs with nothing more than a few well placed print
> > statements and some good old fashioned "eyeball analysis".
> >

> In the 21st century real programmers are using the logging module so
> they don't have to mess around.

The problem with the logging module is you can configure it to do pretty
much anything, which is another way of saying if it's not configured
right (perhaps because you're running your application in an environment
it wasn't designed for), your output disappears into the ether.

I can't tell you how many times I've given up fighting with logging and
just done "open("/tmp/x").write("my debugging message\n") when all else
failed.