I've been using IDLE with Python 3.4.0 on Windows XP (SP3), since March this
year, and since May I've been running IDLE almost continuously, using it scores
of times every day, mostly to run the same script (for running a media player
on BBC WMA streams, to bypass the dreaded iPlayer).

No problems, until today.

For a few days, I'd been frequently running a second instance of IDLE, to test
a new version of the same script.  Today, having closed this instance, I tried
to open one again, but I briefly saw an error message about not being able to
create a thread, or something like that. I'd seen similar messages before, but
all that had ever been needed was to terminate a few other processes, and try
again.  Not this time, however.

I closed the first IDLE instance as well - and since then, I haven't been able
to get any instance of IDLE to run at all!

I have tried the following, all without success:

1. Closed other processes, and retried (as just mentioned).

2. Logged off, logged into an admin account, and tried running IDLE there.
Still nothing happened, and still nothing showed in Task Manager | Processes.

3. Installed 3.4.1 (over 3.4.0). It made no difference to the problem. (I also
had to do a hard reboot of the system, after it had completely ground to a halt
when I tried to reboot in the normal way.)

4. Disabled the router (for safety), then (temporarily) disabled the antivirus
program.  No joy.

5. Rebooted, instructed Windows Firewall to make an exception for pythonw.exe.
Still no joy.

6. Downloaded Process Monitor, from
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645>, installed it, ran
it, and filtered to show all events having process name 'pythonw.exe', and any
result other than 'SUCCESS'. There were hundreds of such events, including many
stating 'buffer overflow'. (I'll go into an admin account, run Process Monitor
again, and give details of the results, if it will help.)

7. Deleted .idlerc - this had no effect on the problem, so I restored it.

8. Created shortcut with target <I:\Python34\Lib\idlelib\idle.bat -n>, and
double-clicked it, with no effect.

9. Ran the same command in a Windows command shell window.  Still no result.

I think that's everything I've tried, so far.  I'm pretty exhausted now, so I
thought I'd ask for help.  Any ideas?