On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:22:12 PM UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 2:39 AM, Rustom Mody  wrote:
> >>     python - just keep config in the modules/classes, not easy to use
> >>     at 'both ends' (home and remote), otherwise quite simple
> > Can work at a trivial level.
> > As soon as things get a bit larger data and code mixed up is a recipe for
> > mess up.

> True, but it's certainly possible to break out the config data into an
> importable module that conceptually just provides constants.
> Technically it's code, yes, but it'll normally be code that looks like
> your standard "name = value" config file:

> # docs for first option
> # more docs
> # examples
> # etcetera
> first_option =123

> # docs for second option
> second_option = 234

> Is that Python code, or is it a sectionless INI file, or what?

Yeah I was going to say that this is possible

> There's  no difference.

But there is! Its code that looks like data.

> And you get expressions for free - simple stuff like
> "7*24*60*60" to represent the number of seconds in a week (for people
> who aren't intimately familiar with 604800), or calculations relative
> to previous data, or whatever. Sometimes it's helpful to have just a
> little code in your data.

Not free at all. Power of code means cost of code
See http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/leastPower.html

I'd reiterate though what I first said: In this case its probably
ok if the code (=data) does not cross trivial limits