"Duncan Booth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> George Sakkis wrote:
>

> You should need an explicit call to convert a path to a string and that
> forces you when passing the path to something that requires a string to
> think whether you wanted the string relative, absolute, UNC, uri etc.
>
> It may even be that we need a hierarchy of path classes: URLs need similar
> but not identical manipulations to file paths, so if we want to address
> the
> failings of os.path perhaps we should also look at the failings of
> urlparse
> at the same time.

You have to start somewhere. One of the lessons that's beginning
to seep into people's minds is that getting something that works
out there is almost always preferable to (over) design by committee.

How to do a comprehensive, covers all the corner cases file
system object (or object hierarchy, etc) has been discussed before,
and nothing has ever come of it. Starting with an object that
actually does something some people want gives the designers a
chance to look at things in the wild.

John Roth