----------------------------
On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 11:06 AM CET Stefan Behnel wrote:

>Albert-Jan Roskam schrieb am 06.12.2014 um 21:28:
>> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 8:54 PM CET Mark Lawrence wrote:
>> For those who haven't heard thought this might be of interest
>> https://github.com/fijal/jitpy
>>
>> Interesting, but it is not clear to me when you would use jitpy instead
>> of pypy.
>
>I think this is trying to position PyPy more in the same corner as other
>JIT compilers for CPython, as opposed to keeping it a completely separate
>thing which suffers from being "not CPython". It's a huge dependency, but
>so are others.

You mean like psyco? Well, if implementation differences between cpython and
pypy are a problem, it might be useful. I've only come across a few unimportant
ones. Bu then, I never reimplement __del__.
http://pypy.readthedocs.org/en/latest/cpython_differences.html

>Being able to choose tools at this level is great, so if PyPy becomes yet
>another way to speed up the critical 5% of a CPython application, that's a
>good thing.

Totally agree, provided that 5 % makes a practical difference ("wow, it runs 5
ns faster now" :-))