On 17/01/2015 16:47, c...@isbd.net wrote:
Michael Torrie <torr...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 01/17/2015 07:51 AM, Albert van der Horst wrote:
In article <mailman.17471.1420721626.18130.python-l...@python.org>,
Chris Angelico  <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

But sure. If you want to cut out complication, dispense with user
accounts altogether and run everything as root. That's WAY simpler!

I didn't except this strawman argument from you.
Of course you need a distinction between doing system things as
root, and working as a normal user. You just don't need sudo.

I just don't see the distinction.  What's the difference between having
to type in a root password and having to type in your own administrative
user password?  Guess we're all just struggling to understand your logic
here.

One big distinction is that you need to know two passwords to get root
access if there's a real root account as opposed to using sudo.  This
only applies of course if direct root login isn't allowed (via ssh or
whatever).

Bah humbug, this has reminded me of doing secure work whereby each individual had two passwords, both of which had to be changed every thirty days, and rules were enforced so you couldn't just increment the number at the end of a word or similar.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence