On 22/01/2015 1:23 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
Modern games *are* part of "today's complex application systems", and games
developers may need the same skills used by "serious developers"

I wish more game developers would understand this. I've lost count of the number of games that have failed during development because all of the source code was stolen or destroyed. I've had arguments with game devs (some who've worked at some of the bigger studios) because they're convinced that nothing outside of game development has anything to teach them...when their (for eg) revision control entails zipping up their daily changes and emailing them to the rest of the team...