Dean,

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 10:49:58AM -0700, Dean N. Williams wrote:
> For version control and other reasons, it would be nice to be able to
> build Python from source and it should build from source. How did the
> Cygwin version build?

I built using an older version of Cygwin (i.e, 1.5.12-1).

> I've attached the Python log file with the specific error. What file
> is missing?

None.  See below...

The "root cause" is the following:

under Cygwin 1.5.12-1:

    $ configure
    [snip]
    checking for inet_pton... no
    [snip]

under Cygwin 1.5.18-1:

    $ configure
    [snip]
    checking for inet_pton... yes
    [snip]

So, when you build under 1.5.18-1, pyconfig.h has the following:

    #define HAVE_INET_PTON 1

This causes a chunk of code in socketmodule.c to be compiled under
1.5.18-1 that wasn't compiled before.

I will have to research why INET_ADDRSTRLEN is not defined under Cygwin
and submit a patch to Cygwin or Python as appropriate.

Thanks for bringing this problem to my attention.

Jason