On 14/02/2015 00:11, Ian Kelly wrote:
On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 4:05 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamore...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
I still think it's a bug as the 'p' being referred to in the OP's original
message is "The precision is a decimal number indicating how many digits
should be displayed after the decimal point for a floating point value
formatted with 'f' and 'F', or before and after the decimal point for a
floating point value formatted with 'g' or 'G'".  In other words is has
nothing to do with the precision of the underlying number.

I read that paragraph as describing generally what the precision
means, with the table below detailing more specifically how it is
used. I think for 'g' this is just trying to contrast it with 'f'
where it really is just the number of digits displayed after the
decimal point. The table entry for 'g' on the other hand quite clearly
says, "for a given precision p >= 1, this rounds the number to p
significant digits".

With insignificant trailing zeros removed. So if I'm asking for 15 significant digits *in the output* I don't expect to see those zeros as I don't see them as significant. If I did I'd have p set higher.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence