On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Grant Edwards <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2015-02-21, Cem Karan <cfkar...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No, it's not. I would advise using strong references - if the callback
>>> is a closure, for instance, you need to hang onto it, because there
>>> are unlikely to be any other references to it. If I register a
>>> callback with you, I expect it to be called; I expect, in fact, that
>>> that *will* keep my object alive.
>>
>> OK, so it would violate the principle of least surprise for you.
>
> And me as well.  I would expect to be able to pass a closure as a
> callback and not have to keep a reference to it.  Perhaps that just a
> leftover from working with other languages (javascript, scheme, etc.).
> It doesn't matter if it's a string, a float, a callback, a graphic or
> whatever: if I pass your function/library an object, I expect _you_ to
> keep track of it until you're done with it.
>
>> Interesting.  Is this a general pattern in python?  That is,
>> callbacks are owned by what they are registered with?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "owned" or why it matters that it's a
> callback: it's an object that was passed to you: you need to hold onto
> a reference to it until you're done with it, and the polite thing to
> do is to delete references to it when you're done with it.
>
>> So, what's the consensus on the list, strongly-held callbacks, or
>> weakly-held ones?

Count me in the weak-ref crowd. It may be a nuisance to keep a
reference around on the object registering the callback, but it's
preferable to the alternative of messing around with disposables in
order to ensure that the callback gets cleaned up and doesn't create a
memory leak. I would also rather have my code fail by losing a
callback reference, which should be relatively easy to spot and
diagnose, than to have said memory leak go unnoticed.