Dave Angel wrote:

When I ran Windows, I had written a simple utility that searched the PATH for a
specified file.
I called it which.bat to match the Linux equivalent.

I've written a similar tool; envtool --path --python python27.dll

Matches in %PATH:
      15 May 2013 - 21:43:38: f:\ProgramFiler\Python27\python27.dll
Matches in Python's sys.path[]:
      15 May 2013 - 21:43:38: f:\programfiler\Python27\python27.dll

(available at http://watt-32.net/misc/#envtool )

You can look to see where the system thinks the Python executable is located by
doing

     ftype .py
and seeing what it shows.  Mine shows Python.File

   Then do
     assoc  Python.File

to see an actual path.

That will give you the path of python.exe. Not pythonXX.dll (as the
OP had problems with).

But by Windows DLL loading rules, it's IMHO safer to have pythonXX.dll
in the directory of python[w].exe. On Windows, ACAICR the Python MSI
installer puts pythonXX.dll in %Windir\system32. So it depends on how
the OP installed his Python.

--
--gv