On 03/27/2015 09:35 AM, Frank Millman wrote:

"Dave Angel" <da...@davea.name> wrote in message

But now I have to disagree about "true Sudoku puzzle."  As we said
earlier, it might make sense to say that puzzles that cannot be solved
that way are not reasonable ones to put in a human Sudoku book.  But why
isn't it a "true Sudoku puzzle"?

It seems you are correct.

According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_Sudoku -

A puzzle is a partially completed grid. The initially defined values are
known as givens or clues. A proper puzzle has a single (unique) solution. A
proper puzzle that can be solved without trial and error (guessing) is known
as a satisfactory puzzle. An irreducible puzzle (a.k.a. minimum puzzle) is a
proper puzzle from which no givens can be removed leaving it a proper puzzle
(with a single solution). It is possible to construct minimum puzzles with
different numbers of givens. The minimum number of givens refers to the
minimum over all proper puzzles and identifies a subset of minimum puzzles.

So what I am talking about is called a "satisfactory" puzzle, which is a
subset of a "proper" puzzle.

Thanks for the wikipedia reference. Now we're in violent agreement, and even have a vocabulary to use for that agreement.

--
DaveA